Inspirational Helen Keller Quotes

5 Inspirational Helen Keller Quotes

Helen Keller is my hero. She lived an interesting adventurous life as aan author and activist. She was blind, deaf and mute. . She lived an incredible life. She was the first blind and deaf person to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree.

At those moments when I am on the self pity bus I try and remember Helen Keller and her courage and it makes me feel better about my life. The following five happiness quotes highlight her guide to happiness and a well lived life.

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable."

What Helen is saying is that there is nothing secure about life. People like to feel secure; however life is random and unexpected. It doesn't matter how much we try to make ourselves safe life is a game of chance.

People spend their lives holding themselves back not taking chances to protect themselves and keep the delusion of being safe. People believe by experiencing more and being open minded to trying new things they open themselves to possible pain. Yet when it comes down to it the person who is highly adventurous and lives to the fullest and the person always afraid of trying anything are just as unsafe in this unpredictable world. Knowing this isn't it much better to go all out and experience and live life to the fullest? Ultimately living a full adventurous life is not any more unsafe than doing nothing of note.

"Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged."

We are all comparers we cannot help ourselves. Daily we compare on looks, wealth, relationships, happiness to name a few. People always feel inferior to some other people and they believe they have the bad end of the stick. Helen suggests looking at the majority of the world and comparing yourself then and the biggest likelihood is that you are one of the privileged people in this world.

If you are able to read this article right now then you have access to the computer, something that a lot of people in this world only dream about. Everyday remember to be thankful for what you have because so many other people have so little to be thankful for.

"Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content."

Helen was deaf blind she had to deal with darkness and silence all the time. I would not have any idea what she went through I can only try and imagine how it was. She found a way to be content with her condition. Every person goes through different things in their lives and some are tougher than others. Find happiness in every situation you are in. You can't control everything in this world but you can choose how you react to different situations.

"I seldom think about my limitations, and they never make me sad. Perhaps there is just a touch of yearning at times; but it is vague, like a breeze among flowers."

This quote is one of the reasons I am truly inspired and awed by this woman. She was deaf blind and mute and yet she rarely thought of her limitations. She had every reason to play the victim but she didn't. How many times do you play the victim feeling sorry for yourself over the smallest thing? I know I do that every single day at some point. I dwell on my weaknesses and things I don't have constantly giving into self pity. How productive is this? Not productive at all. Instead of focusing on their strengths people use up their time which is precious focusing on what they lack.

"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."

I am a big believer in making yourself happy. I find fulfillment in helping others not just myself. Just living for myself is not good enough I want to feel like I am making some positive impact in this world before I check out. That is the meaning of Helen's words above. There is nothing wrong with making sure you are happy but also live for others and you find more happiness.

The above five quotations represent Helen Keller's quide to a content and fulfilled life. Helen's words offer a way of living life to the fullest from a woman who did just that. I hope you take them to heart in your daily lives.