Adult ADD: Motivational Focus

Adult ADD: Motivational Focus
-- Keystone In A Happy Life
by: Tellman H. Knudson



We’re in an informational age. Information is more available now than there's ever been in the world. More will be available tomorrow. Unless the entire Internet crashes, I predict that’s going to continue for a long time.

So, the question isn’t, “How many opportunities are there?” or “What is the best opportunity?” because there’s no such thing. There’ll be a better opportunity tomorrow than the one you’re working on today.

When you have ADD, it’s a blessing and a curse. When technology evolves at the speed of light and things are evolving full-tilt, we’re moving at rocket speeds, too. You need to ask yourself not what’s the best opportunity for someone with ADD. You need to ask yourself what do you want to be known for?

When your life is over, when everything is done, do you just want to have made some money, or do you want to have made something happen? Do you just want to be some schmuck who made some cash, or do you want to have done something of significance in the world?

I’ll tell you, if you’re paying attention, I certainly hope you want to do something of substance, because if you don’t, if you’re just chasing the buck, I can't help you. You can chase the buck all you want, and you’ll still be miserable tomorrow and the day after. Even if you get rich, you’ll still be miserable.

But if you want do something that’s absolutely, undeniably, super-sonic important to you...

Maybe it’s just having a really wonderful relationship with your family. Maybe it’s making a fortune so you can donate it to support local artists. Maybe it’s finding a cure for cancer. Maybe it’s teaching everybody in the world how to use ADD as a strength. I don’t know what it is for you, but I guarantee that you do, and if you’re saying that you don’t, you’re probably just afraid to go after it.

Yet, even it you’re going full tilt on something right now, that doesn’t mean you have to do that for the rest of your life. It does mean that if you’re going to spend your time doing something, it might as well be something you’re incredibly passionate about. Just figure out a way to integrate that exuberance into being successful. I'm speaking to you from experience here, meaning I have ADD and I’ve been in the exact same situation you may be in right now.

Focus on a goal, and really hone in. Once I figured out this course of action, I started accomplishing something in my life. I said, “Okay, I have 10 great ideas a day (just like most of us with ADD). How do I actually use my ADD to implement one of them and get something done?” I don’t want to just stop having great ideas. I love thinking about new ideas. It’s one of the things I’m best at doing. I realized that when I had a great idea, I needed to figure out how I could take the really great aspect of it and apply it to my current project.

Even with ADD, you can train yourself to do this, but even in conversations when you’re brainstorming with friends or business partners and random ideas come up, say, “Hey, that’s a really good idea. How do we apply that to what we’re working on?"

So, what does that have to do with ADD? It leads me to ask this question: “What does everyone with ADD need?” If I can come up with that, then I'll be great. Maybe there’s some sort of food or recipes that people with ADD would like that they don’t currently have access to, that they just wish they did. Now we’re talking about ADD again. High speed, super nutrition... and you bill it, "ADD Café" or whatever it is.

The point is, you figure out how you can flip things and switch them around. Use ADD to be focused on your bigger goal, that thing that is really important to you in your life. That way your ADD can be the catalyst, rather than the impediment in your success.